I just found an interesting topic relating to Minecraft in debate.org. Everybody there discusses about the good and the bad of playing this 3D sandbox game. Over 70% of online visitors agree that Minecraft is good – not only developing players’ creativity but also improve their real-world skills. On the other hand, about less than 30% of people state Minecraft is too violent and addicting for kids.
What is your opinion about this? Should the children continue playing Minecraft?
Kids these days are very familiar with this open-ended sandbox game. According to Blameless Game, players from ages 8 to 14 all have experienced Minecraft. It is considered as one of the best games for education, a lecturer at St. Mary’s College (Northern Ireland) says.
However, even the good game can get kids addicted. If they keep playing, how can they complete family obligations, homework, chores as well as social activities in the real life? Minecraft is an educational tool that helps the children learn a lot of things, but overusing it is not good. In order to get the best from Minecraft, teaching your kids about their individual limits is necessary.
What is Minecraft?
Released in 2009, it is a 3D pixel-styled building game available on PC, gaming consoles and mobile devices. Minecraft provides an endless world for exploration. There are two primary modes. Creative Mode offers players unlimited resources, assisting them in crafting items and building amazing structures. On the other hand, Survival Mode asks you to construct a shelter, go hunting and fight against nightlife monsters to stay alive.
As parents, here are basic things about Minecraft game you need to learn about.
Unlike other video games, Minecraft is a sandbox game which means there is no rule, no instruction, no quest, no level and no point. The children are taken to a free space where they can do anything they want – flying, building, casting spells, and more awesome things. How much free they are!
Below are the good and bad of Minecraft, summarized by Blameless Game:
1. The Good
- Creative Mode presents endless creativity
- Survival Mode teaches how to prepare and arrange work
- A lot of updated things are available for kids to learn
- Minecraft resources teaches kids basic knowledge of engineering (electricity and mechanics)
- Mods offer plenty of learning options as well as advanced gameplay
2. The Bad
- Survival Mode seems to be a bit violent to young kids
- Children will see the killing of mobs (animals and monsters) and even your character
- Online servers are very dangerous to children as they can interact with strangers
- Not all videos about Minecraft on Youtube are appropriate
In a nutshell, Minecraft is still game worth playing. As per Blameless Game, it can offer your children a large amount of knowledge about social life skills and engineering, plus bring a lot of fun.